Sliding doors, like any other door, serve to move from one space to another, but with the advantage that the sheet does not occupy space for desiccation, optimizing surfaces.
Its design consists of a pair of parallel blades where each slides on one rail to match the other, or it can be a single leaf sliding on a rail installed next to a wall, matching with it and disappearing from view.
Sliding doors occupy a small space, managing to communicate rooms without need of dejection. They also communicate in a practical and fast way, being very useful to separate areas of constant communication but that sometimes need privacy, such as the kitchen and social area, bedroom and bathroom, or living room and outside terrace. Its design, regardless of style, is cute and fits any type of decoration and dimensions.
Sliding doors are usually made out of glass and are totally transparent, helping to harmonize spaces and integrate environments. However, it can also be made of wood marquetry with a glass sheet, solid wood or carved, aluminum and glass, steel, blacksmithing, acrylic or polycarbonate, and will always look good.
One of the advantages of sliding doors is that they create the illusion of wide, open spaces. They’re also really easy to maintain.
They’re not recommended in regions with strong winds or rainstorms. Glass doors generally do not provide much security because they can be easily broken or damaged. In order to be made secure, they must be combined with blacksmithing or steel doors. However, if they are made of aluminum or steel, corrosion can damage the rails and make it difficult to slide.
Pocket doors: they have the same dimensions as a regular door, but instead of turning they slide from left to right, hiding behind a wall. They are ideal for small spaces.
Terrace or patio doors: they are usually large, double-leafed where each is of regular size. Usually the two are slid to opposite sides to open as much space as possible. They are excellent to communicate the room with the terrace or the dining room with the living room.
Double doors: the leaves can be two or more, they are of standard size or narrower, they share a double rail where some slides on one and the other and on both sides. They are ideal for closets or study areas within the bedrooms.
Aluminum and tempered glass: it is the most common. These doors are simple, economical, of standard dimensions and they adapt to any style.
Cancellation of steel and tempered glass: they look elegant and are resistant, can be designed to measure.
Wooden marquetry and stained glass: can be adapted to any style and will always look elegant and sophisticated.
Aluminum or PVC and acrylic: ideal for showers or to separate the sleeping area from the bathroom, the kitchen of the dining room or the laundry area.
Polycarbonate and steel: they are excellent for terraces or any outside area, due to the resistance of polycarbonate in high caliber.
While a sliding door can be solid wood or blacksmithing, when used to join environments or virtually separate spaces in a same area, they are usually made out of light materials such as acrylic or glass. Aluminum cancellation is highly recommended when installed in exterior spaces as it is important to take care of the security. There are the following options to do this:
1. Accompany steel doors or stylized blacksmithing: whether these sheets are sliding along with the first or are rotating. They are ideal for terraces because their shape can be integrated into the exterior design.
2. Install double-glazed and high-caliber steel plates.
3. High-caliber polycarbonate sheets, it is very difficult to break.
4. Install an alarm against vibrations: you can set the alarm to go off from a strong blow to a simple vibration. It can be complemented with an electronic key that prevents the passage without the need for padlocks or chains.
- In the closets, to keep the clothes out of sight and in perfect order.
- Between the terrace and the room.
- In the kitchen, to keep the aromas away from the social area. Between patios, when there are different levels or areas of coexistence like barbecue + terrace + pool + playground for children.
- On the balcony of the bedroom.
- In the bathroom to separate the shower from the toilet.
- To separate the sleeping area from the bathroom in a bedroom.
- It is not recommended to use it as a front door, due to the safety factor.
Keep in mind that the prices of the doors usually correspond only to the pieces, it is necessary to add the cost for labor, the safety equipment and the accessories or ornamental details that you decide to integrate. For more information, consult with a professional in sales and installation of doors.