A modern room is the social center of every house. It's a place created for family interaction and relaxation. These rooms are usually spacious, but also have a distinctive style and, in general, a focal point. This can be a wall mounted television, a window with a view, a feature wall or even a fireplace. Nowadays, wall-to-wall carpeting or large rugs are rarely used. Instead, the floors of the modern living rooms in New Delhi and Mumbai are mostly made of wood and natural stone. Another contemporary trend is not to use too many décor accessories. On homify, you can find many examples of this type of design.
There are thousands of great options when it comes to decorating your living room in a modern way. Some people opt for a more futuristic look by making their television or entertainment unit the central element of the room. Others prefer to create an oriental style that is inspired by the principles of Feng Shui, which advises minimizing obstacles as well as decoration. However, it recommends the use of more vibrant and bright colours in the room. Some people prefer to mix several styles to give the living room a timeless, edgy and contemporary feel. Contrast of colours or playing with light and shadows are other ideas for modern living rooms. Last but not the least, living rooms that are connected to other spaces through an open design are considered extremely fashionable. In most modern apartments, even in smaller cities such as Pune and Indore, the open design, which integrates the living and dining area, is a new trend. Sometimes, the kitchen is included in the social space.
White is always an ideal colour for the walls in a modern living room. If you want to use more vibrant and exciting tones, then you must have at least one neutral wall in the room to provide contrast and bring balance to the design. Combining a soft red with white is, for example, a great option. Monochromatic shades go very well with metallic tones to create the industrial look, which is current and urban. Light grey is another colour that is popular for modern walls.
As a rule, less is always better. A modern living room should never have too much decoration. However, you can use abstract or modern art that is characterized by rigid and geometric figures to contribute to the style of your space. Another idea is to use unusual decorative objects such as sculptures. Infuse warmth and make the living room trendy and contemporary by draping colourful blankets or throws on your monochromatic sofas. Remember that it is important to add a distinctive touch to reflect your personal style, no matter how small the detail might be.
In general, living rooms of today should not have loud patterns or designs stamped on the walls as this is considered an outdated trend. Many people opt for marked contrasts by choosing a wall to stand out in the space. This way, the wall becomes a focal point or the centre of attention. You can place a few photographs (preferably in black and white) or works of art but beware! Don’t get carried away and use too many photographs or accessories as this will cause the much-coveted minimalist style to disappear from the room. When in doubt, use the expertise of interior designers and decorators to get the perfect look.
- If you are unsure of how to design your living room, don’t worry! At homify, we have hundreds of designs to inspire you. Here are some tips and tricks that will help you:
- The first thing is to have a clear picture of how the room should look. Browse through the latest living room designs on homify for ideas and inspiration.
- Choose the type of lighting you want. You can make lighting the focal point by using, for example, an elegant pendant lamp or a beautiful chandelier. It doesn’t have to be expensive. You can find a wide variety of affordable pendants – an industrial-style metal cube for 1000 INR or a more luxurious crystal ball pendant for 2000 INR, among other options.
- If you have doubts about whether the room has sufficient light, opt for glass because, in addition to being modern and stylish, it also allows the passage of natural light, making the room look more spacious and clear. How about a nice glass coffee table that can be decorated by placing large books on it?
- Decide on the colour palette before buying your furniture so that it contrasts or matches the other elements in the room. Remember that your furniture needs to stand out, not get overlooked when it is set against your walls. If you're not sure, white furniture is always a great modern option.
- Foldable furniture is another great ally for modern living rooms as it helps to save space. Consider getting a few folding chairs that can be unfolded when you need extra seats and folded away when they are not required to make the room spacious. Depending upon the material, folding chairs range from around 2500 INR (metal) to around 4500 INR (wood).
- Make sure that your windows let in as much natural light as possible, and do not obstruct them with too many decorative objects! This is especially crucial in colder places such as Shimla in Himachal Pradesh or even New Delhi during the winter, where natural light can add a cheerful note to a gloomy and cold living room.
- Remember that everything in the room must be functional. For example, placing a TV away from the power outlet is not an effective solution.
- Storage is another crucial element in a modern room. Whether it's hidden or open, it presents a place for arranging things so that the room looks organized and neat.
- Finally, do not be afraid to experiment. The key to designing a stunning modern living room is to break the rules, get creative and infuse the room with a lot of attitude.
Like this, there are a hundred different ideas that you can think of that use lots of creativity and very little money to design the modern living room of your dreams.
Minimalist modern living rooms look so sophisticated and spacious that many people get the feeling that they can’t adopt this design style to their home, either due to the lack of space or a limited budget. However, this couldn’t be farther from the truth! You can make a tiny space appear larger with good illumination, light-toned walls and optimal furniture. When you browse through our pages, you will come across many ideas for creating modern living rooms on a small budget.