What does a Scandinavian style bathroom look like?
The Scandinavian style is ideal to adopt in the bathroom of any family home, since its design is characterized by natural materials, especially wood, which guarantee a comfortable, warm and cosy atmosphere – perfect for a space meant for relaxation. Besides adding elegance to the decoration, this style appeals because it creates bright and airy rooms that look spacious and organized. Additionally, with these characteristics, the bathroom becomes more than just a functional space as it transforms into a zone of total relaxation. So, whether you are looking to renovate a large bathroom in an old bungalow in Ahmedabad, Gujarat or want to bring an ultra-modern look to a tiny bathroom in a small apartment in Pune or Kochi, the Scandinavian style can be an excellent choice.
What features should you use in a Scandinavian bathroom?
- White colour: Scandinavian-style bathrooms are very bright and warm, with just the essential details to maintain an orderly, relaxed and elegant atmosphere. White is undoubtedly the star of this decorative style and should dominate the room to give it a soothing ambiance.
- Wood: This should be the main material on the flooring and furniture in the bathroom. You can also use it to coat walls and ceilings or as the frame of the bathtub to infuse warmth into the space. Coating the floor of the bathroom with wood will cost approximately 1,500 INR to INR 2,000 per square foot, if you use real wood that is treated to resist moisture.
- Pure forms and straight lines: In a Scandinavian-style bathroom, simple lines are vital to the success of the design. However, this shouldn’t prevent you from thinking outside the box. For example, the furniture can be suspended to accentuate the effect of lightness in the environment. Ensure that it has ample drawers to keep everything looking perfectly organized.
- Nature: Since nature is a key element of this design style, you can introduce it not only through wood in the furniture material, but also with natural textiles or live plants.
- Natural and artificial lighting: Since the room should be bright and airy, good lighting is essential. Large windows that invite natural light into the bathroom can be supplemented by modern LED bulbs or elegant lamps to brighten up the space at night.
What materials can be used in a Nordic style bathroom?
Wood: This is the main material, which must be specially treated to withstand the humid environment. Cedar, teak and other light-toned woods, which aren’t too porous, are recommended.
Ceramic tiles: These can be used to create a refreshing contrast against the white walls, but don’t let it overpower the room. You can opt for vintage-style tiles with geometric designs, colours and patterns. They are perfect for adding highlights in modern bathrooms in the Nordic style. They can be used on the walls or the floor as an alternative to wood. For instance, in a place such as Goa, which has high humidity during most parts of the year, ceramic tiles may be a more functional option than wood for the bathroom floor.
Marble and stone: Since they have a lovely natural look, you can use them to coat the walls, but you should preferably choose natural stone in light tones.
Bear in mind that the main idea in a Scandinavian bathroom, is to maintain a minimalist approach, so keep it simple and don’t overdo the coatings.
What colours are best suited to this style of bathroom?
The colour palette of the bathroom should have white as its base, on which notes of wood and accents of sober colours such as black and grey can be added to make it look elegant and avant-garde. The objective is to let neutral and natural colours dominate the space to retain luminosity and generate a feeling of greater amplitude. This palette should be carried through to the floor, ceiling, walls and furniture.
How should the walls be decorated in a Scandinavian bathroom?
The bathroom walls should be painted white. They can have tile coverings with patterns or colour to break the monotony. However, it is recommended that this is restricted to just one wall or a small section so that it does not saturate the environment and compromise on the lightness of the design.
Another option is to cover the walls in wood. You can leave the planks in their natural state or give them a coat of white paint. Stone or marble are other excellent choices for coating the walls in a Scandinavian style bathroom.
What can be used on the floors?
Like the walls, the floors of a Scandinavian bathroom can have neutral colours, wood coatings or ceramic tiles. Care should be taken to ensure that the tiles don’t visually saturate the space, and ideally, they should be combined with wood.
What are the basics when it comes to choosing furniture for a Scandinavian style bathroom?
Since the design should be uncomplicated and spacious, less is more when it comes to choosing furniture for a Scandinavian style bathroom.
Basin or sink: A washbasin is essential, but it should have simple lines.
Toilet: Suspended toilets look especially good in this style of bathroom as it enhances the floor space and adds a sense of lightness to the room.
Shower: You can use a glass screen, as the Scandinavian style encourages the presence of glass and mirrors to increase the luminosity and lightness of the environment.
A cabinet or shelf: This is essential to organise things in the bathroom. The cabinet should preferably be embedded in the walls to generate a clear and orderly feeling in the space. Glass corner shelves are an excellent choice for organizing toiletries in the shower area, and they are affordable as you can get them at prices starting from 450 INR and upwards, depending upon the size and the number of shelves.
Racks: For placing towels, racks and hooks are a must, but care should be taken to select a simple and light design.
What accessories can be used to decorate the bathroom?
Since the room cannot be saturated with too many elements, accessories should be kept to the bare minimum. Plants are the ideal accessory in a Scandinavian bathroom as they enhance the natural look of the room. They can be placed in small pots or wicker baskets on the sink cabinet or in the corners to eliminate dead spaces in the bathroom.
Large mirrors are also a wonderful choice as they help to reflect natural light and add brightness to the space. Besides this, LED lights can be used creatively to bring the elegance and sophistication that are required in this decorative style.
You can find many Scandinavian bathroom photographs on our portal, from which you can draw inspiration for designing your bathroom in this avant-garde style. To ensure that you get the right balance of elements, whether its colour, accessories or materials, we recommend that you contact one of the professional bathroom designers registered on our portal to get a free consultation and assistance in creating the perfect Scandinavian style bathroom in your home.