Every few years, the interiors and exteriors of the house starts to look run down, and the easiest way to refresh the appearance of the home is to apply a new coat of paint. It may seem like a simple job that one can take on as a DIY project, but there are several advantages of hiring professional painters, whether it's for coating the walls of a newly built home or giving an existing home a brand-new look. Among the various advantages of hiring a painter are:
- Saving time: While one can save money by opting to go the DIY route, it would take much longer to complete the project on your own than if you were to hire a team of painters. Of course, it also depends on the total area of the walls or ceilings to be painted. For a small room, using a roller dipped in paint might be the easy alternative to hiring a painter that would add to the architect’s fees.
- Better finishes: One of the primary advantages of hiring professional painters is that they have years of experience in the field due to which they can deliver superior finishes than you would get with a DIY project. Moreover, because they know all the techniques and the various types of paints available in the market, they will ensure that they use the most suitable kind that is durable so that you don’t need to repaint for a few years.
- Safety: As a task, painting involves climbing on ladders and stools to reach high areas such as ceilings and the upper section of the walls, which brings the risk of accidents or injuries. By hiring a team of painters, you can be assured that they will take the necessary steps to prevent accidents and falls.
What are the steps one should take before hiring painters?
- Firstly, it’s essential to set up a meeting with the painting contractor to brief him about the scope of work as well as the budget, expected finishes and the timeframe for completion of the project. Since there are several types of paints available in different price ranges, knowing the budget will allow the contractor to decide on the kind of paint to use.
- Ask for references to verify whether the painters are reliable and won’t mess up the house. After all, painting is a task that involves accidental splashes and spills. A professional painter will inform you about the measures he will take to protect the furniture, floors, light fixtures, electrical points, and any other element that might risk getting damaged by the paint.
- Verify the credentials of the painter by reading reviews or speaking to previous clients to ensure that their work quality is excellent.
- Professional painters will also ensure that they clean up any mess that they cause, whether it’s dust from scraping down the old paint from the walls or accidental splashes. Additionally, they will be willing to do small touch ups once the furniture is arranged as there is always the possibility of minor scrapes and scratches occurring when the shifting takes place.
- Before they get started, the painters will show you shade cards of paints that fall within the budget, and once you choose a specific shade, they will paint a test patch on the wall for you to approve the colour before they proceed to use the tone throughout the room or house.
- If you are looking for painters for a specialist job, whether it’s to do stucco work on a wall or to create a mural, then it’s essential to verify that the team has specialists who have experience in the specific job. Ask to see photographs of their work to ensure it meets your expectations.
- Don’t forget to ask the painting contractor if he has insurance to cover his labour in case any accidents or injuries occur when they are painting your house.
- Last, but not least, ask for a detailed estimate before the painting work commences to ensure that the project remains within budget.
Do painters need any formal qualification?
Painters in India learn their skills on the job, by working as an apprentice under an experienced painter or contractor. During their apprenticeship, they learn to paint the interior and exterior surfaces of houses or commercial buildings. The scope of their job includes sanding down surfaces to remove old paint, applying primer to the prepared surface, choosing paint materials for the final coat, mixing colours and paints to get the right shade, and cleaning up the site once the job is completed.
How much do painters in India charge for their services?
The painting estimate that a contractor provides can vary depending on whether the interior or exterior of the house is being painted. Exterior painting is usually more expensive as there are more processes involved to ensure the durability of the finishes. Additionally, the condition of the walls that need to be painted will influence the cost as damaged or dirty walls will require cleaning or repairing before the final coat can be applied.
The type of paint also determines the cost. Distemper is an economical solution for a low budget paint job, but it isn’t as durable as acrylic paint. Certain types of surfaces, such as wood, will need enamel paint, which is more expensive.
Painters provide estimates on a cost per square foot basis, which includes the paint cost as well as the labour charges. Usually, painting contractors charge between Rs.12 to Rs.20 per square feet, depending on the type of paint being used.
How to find professional painters?
Word of mouth reference is the best way to identify a reliable team of painters. After all, if one of your friends or family has recently painted their house and are satisfied with the work quality of the contractor they used, the chances are that you too would be happy with the work. However, even if you get references, it’s advisable to meet with the professional and discuss what you expect from the project.
In case you can’t find painters through references, then online searches are the next best alternative to get a list of professionals. However, we recommend reading reviews to assess whether they are skilled and reliable.
On homify, our painters’ directory has city-wise listings of professionals from all over India. You can filter the search by city to get a list of painting contractors near you. The profile of each listed professional includes his contact details besides photographs of painting projects that he has completed. After looking through the images and reading reviews about the quality of work of each professional, you can shortlist a few to whom you can submit the online contact form to receive free quotes before you set up a meeting to discuss the scope of work.