Kanpur has a diverse architecture, which the residential interior designers and decorators have witnessed over time. Whether it is the magnificent structure of the IIT Kanpur or the traditional shops on the Birhana road, the style of the city is breathtakingly beautiful. Kanpur is known as the industrial capital of UP. Also, it is the education hub, not just because of IIT Kanpur but also because of many other league educational institutions such as CSJM, sugar institute, HBTI and CSA agricultural college.
It is evident that many people move to the city every year. Builders are inclined towards building smaller homes and the local interior designers have taken up the task of designing newer Kanpur homes in such a way that they keep up with the Kanpur culture as well.
The ongoing development in the city of Kanpur is exemplary. Residents have revealed that there are far less potholes in the roads than there used to be 10 years back. And with the upcoming metro project, Kanpur would join a league of tier-2 cities in India. Therefore, it is very important that your lifestyle is also reflected in the interior design of your home in Kanpur. Though you can always opt for a DIY project, here are some reasons why a professional interior designer would make your job much easier:
· A professional interior designer would help you in shortlisting an idea from the ocean of ideas that you might have in mind.
· The city is growing and builders are focusing on smaller houses, which puts a restriction on the interior space of the home. An interior decorator who has prior experience in decorating homes in Kanpur would know what can be fitted in a smaller space.
· If you are not a true Kanpurite, you would have a hard time getting recommendations for the materials. With hundreds of local brands to choose from, confusion is evident. A residential interior designer would suggest you the best materials and help you get them on good deals too.
· Technicalities of interior designing are best understood by experts. You might not be sure about how much distance should be there between your TV and couch, what color of the fan would go with your furniture and so on. An interior designer would help you in such things and save your time and effort by a major scale.
Apart from the interior designing certification, there is no fine line between an interior designer and a decorator. But if you look at the bigger picture, an interior designer would help you make structural changes to the house so that the space is optimized and the house looks appealing to the eyes. A decorator on the other hand would only make changes to the décor of the house without changing the structure. As a rule of thumb, if you are only aiming to beautify your home, a decorator would do the job. But if you want to change the details of the house and then beautify it, an interior designer is needed.
Kanpur is a growing city and it is getting modernized at a fast pace. The city also holds importance in history and hence, one would want the modernity and tradition reflect in their home design too. Hiring the right interior designer for your home can make all the difference. Asking these questions to your interior designer while consulting would give you insights about the latter's work:
· Can I get a referral? Talk to the previous clients of the interior designer or decorator and get to know whether the work done by them was as promised.
· Can you show me your portfolio? The interior designers who are serious about their business always carry a portfolio. This also reveals the experience they hold.
· What is the timeline of the project? You need to get a clear idea of how fast paced your designer is. If they cannot give you a clear timeline, they are not worth hiring.
· How will you charge for the project? There are various ways to calculate cost for interior design, hourly rate and flat rate being the most common. It is advisable that you ask a designer about the cost calculation method because it would affect your budget.
There are several factors that determine the cost of an interior designer in Kanpur. If you are just looking for wardrobes and a modular kitchen, the cost would be much less than if your interior designing scope also includes beds, carpets, curtains, sofa sets etc. Also, a premium designer is more expensive than a local one because they also charge consulting fee separately.
If you are a residential Kanpurite and you do not need to leverage the knowledge of the interior designer regrading where to get materials, how to bargain on them and where to find local skilled labor, you can reduce the cost of the project by up to 50%. A typical 2BHK house in Kanpur can be designed within 3 lacs. But if you get the materials yourself with a bit of discussion with your designer, you can get it done within 1.5-2 lacs.
Going by the costs of the interior design elements, a false ceiling can cost Rs. 60 per sq. ft. to Rs. 150 per sq. ft., wardrobes cost Rs. 1500 per sq. ft. on an average, you can get a modular kitchen starting from Rs. 1200 per sq. ft. and a TV/study unit would cost Rs. 700 per sq. ft. on lower side and up to Rs. 1200 per sq. ft. on the upper side. If you add more interior design services such as wall paintings, wallpapers, floorings with premium finish, the costs would add up. However, as per Kanpur data, a premium interior designing project for a 2 BHK would not go beyond 5 lacs.
It is always a good idea to check with your interior designer or decorator in Kanpur beforehand how the cost is going to be calculated. A general practice in Kanpur is to pay 50% of each service before it commences and 50% after it is completed. However, the laborers are generally on daily contracts and you might have to pay them daily. It is advisable to discuss with your designer beforehand whether you are going to pay the laborer per day or the designer himself would take it up under the entire project cost.
Finding an interior designer in Kanpur is very easy. All you have to do is type in the web search box and hit enter. The real challenge however is to find an interior designer who would suit all your needs, from understanding your style to understanding your budget. At homify, we simplify your searches by providing a city wise listing of the interior designers and decorators. You can choose Kanpur as the city and a list of professionals would show up.
We recommend you have a look at the portfolios of interior designers and decorators before contacting them. The pictures of their most recent projects are displayed. Browse through them and decide the style you want in your home. When you are sure of the style, contact a couple of designers who specialize in that style and request a quote from them. Requesting a quote is as easy as filling up a form and it is completely free of cost.