Indoor plants with its fresh lively colours make the environment inside the home quite vibrant. Greenery brings in relaxation and adds to the freshness of the home. But you will be surprised to know that all plants are not fit enough to become a part of your home. Of course most of the plants are great to decorate the interior of the home for its amazing medicinal values and air cleansing properties. But then there are also plants which can be toxic to humans and pets and should never be inside your home. Today we have come up with the list of 5 plants that you should stay away from keeping it indoor. Check it and be cautious when shopping for indoor plants.
It’s the most popular plant among persons who love to have indoor garden. Philodendron is an easy growing plant and is quite low on maintenance and above all it is beautiful. This plant contains calcium oxalate crystals and it can be toxic for both humans and animals. If ingested accidentally it can cause skin reaction and swelling of mouth and digestive tract. Pets especially are quite allergic to this plant and if you have pets at home are extra careful with this plant.Philodendron can be grown as climber in planters. If you are growing it in planter keep it high beyond the reach of children and pet or just keep it hanging.
The beautiful scented flower of Lilies is popular both as indoor and outdoor plants because of the colourful flowers that blooms to fill the environment with its fragrance. Lilies are available in many varieties and colours which has extremely beautiful colours. While some varieties are safe to grow inside, a few are dangerous especially if you have cats in the home.Lilies are extremely poisonous for cats and can cause vomiting, loss of appetite and lethargy. It may also result in death of the animal. In humans it can cause headache, blurred vision, skin irritation, upset stomach and vomiting. So if you are not an expert of Lily and are not sure of the variety of Lily you brought home is safe or not, just keep it outside away from the reach of children and animals. For your information some toxic varieties of Lily are Asian lily, Day lily, Tiger lily, Rubrum lily, Easter lily, Calla lily.
It’s a humble and delicate looking plant which is not quite popular as indoor plant but surely it is loved in outdoor and can be seen often decorating the garden and even adorning the living room. However, beware of this innocent plant because it is the most toxic houseplant.If ingested accidentally it can cause arrhythmia, tremors and dizziness even in adults and even fatalities. If it is so dangerous for adults, imagine how dangerous it could be for children and pets.
The lush green carpet of English Ivy vine creeps with the support of wall and wins our heart instantly. It is a common sight to have English Ivy covering the balcony wall or climbing up the brick wall of garden. English Ivy is popular because it is believed to have air purifying quality. However, it can also cause mild to severe skin irritation. When ingested by humans it can cause burning sensation, convulsions, vomiting, fever and rashes. The pets can experience vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, breathlessness, weakness, etc. Limit the boundary of the creeper and ensure that it is high enough away from the reach of children and pets.
Popularly known as elephant’s ear and angel’s wings, it is a popular plant mostly used for outdoor garden. It comes in variety of attractive colours and hence used as decorative plant to decorate the garden. However, there is poison hidden behind its beauty. Every part of this plant is considered to be toxic for humans and animals. Even a small amount of any part of it if ingested can cause serious problem. From burning sensation and swelling of the mouth, tongue, lips and throat to blocked airways and breathing trouble… it may even lead to death.
Bring home these refreshing plants: Refresh your indoor with these 8 green plants