After a few years, every house needs some change. It might be renovation to fix some faults or issues such as leaks or warped flooring. At other times, the home owner might just be bored of the décor or need a temporary solution until he has the budget to undertake a renovation or makeover. In the case of the latter, self-adhesive wallpaper is an excellent solution for changing the look of a room, or to hide ugly spots on the walls. Nowadays, they are available in a wide range of designs to suit every décor style. We present everything one needs to know about installing temporary wallpaper as well as some photos to provide ideas on how to use it to decorate the home.
Self-adhesive or adhesive wall paper comes with a glue backing so that it can be easily applied on walls, floors, stairs, ceilings or even furniture by peeling the protective layer at the back. It’s a practical solution for transforming a room without spending too much or undertaking a major makeover. This type of wallpaper is also ideal for those who live in rented homes and need to cover the walls to make the home look neat without going through the process of painting the walls.
Nowadays, one can find peelable wallpaper in a variety of styles – those with 3D coating, texture, plain or patterned. Some designs even replicate the look of fabric, wood and cement tiles, presenting a quick fix alternative for coating an area that is damaged due to seepage or any other issue.
Consult an interior designer for assistance in choosing the right type of wallpaper.
This type of wallpaper can be applied on any surface that is clean, smooth and dry. Its use isn’t restricted to walls. One can even use peel and stick wallpaper on the floor to cover a stain or a damaged area. Since it can be applied to most types of surfaces, including paint, glass, metal, plastic and tiles, self-adhesive wallpaper can be used even in kitchens and bathrooms that are prone to moisture. However, care should be taken to seal the edges to ensure that water doesn’t get trapped between the wall surface and the adhesive paper.
The process of applying adhesive wallpaper is like that of regular wallpaper. Before installation, one needs to choose the type of adhesive or temporary wallpaper that is best suited for the area on which it will be applied.
Once this is decided, these steps can be followed:
1. Take measurements of the surface to get an idea of the amount of wallpaper to buy. Bear in mind that it is far easier to install on flat surfaces such as walls and floors, whereas curved surfaces such as furniture might require more of it as there can be more wastage.
2. Based on the measurements, one can purchase the wallpaper and the spatula required for its application. It’s preferable to buy self-adhesive wallpaper that comes with a warranty.
3. Next, one should prepare the surface by cleaning it to remove dust. Ensure that it is completely dry before the application begins.
4. Assess the area where the wallpaper will be applied to see if it requires trimming. For example, when using peel and stick wallpaper for bathrooms, it should be trimmed so that it fits over the taps or electrical points near the countertop basin. Before trimming, it’s advisable to mark the exact dimension at the back of the wallpaper.
5. The wallpaper is now ready to be fixed on the wall. All that needs to be done is to remove the adhesive sheet at the back as slowly as possible. By using the spatula, the paper can be stretched and applied to the wall in small movements, in one direction. Take care to be gentle so that the surface doesn’t get scratched or torn. It’s better to choose thicker wallpaper to prevent creasing as it is less likely to crinkle compared to thinner options.
6. When it’s time to install the next sheet, care should be taken to ensure that the pattern is not distorted. It might require overlapping the second sheet over the first to merge the print.
7. Once all the sheets are installed, the edges of the self-adhesive wallpaper can be trimmed, and the edges sealed.
The same process should be followed even if one is considering self-adhesive wall tiles or wallpaper for the kitchen backsplash.
For cleaning the wallpaper, it’s best to follow the instructions of the manufacturer so that the paper or print is not damaged. Usually, it can be wiped down with a damp cloth to remove dirt. For stubborn grease, a solution of regular detergent and water can be used to wipe the surface.
Removing the wallpaper requires the glue to be heated slightly so that the paper dislodges from the wall. The easiest way to loosen the paper is with a hairdryer. If this doesn’t work, then a solvent should be applied to the paper to allow it to be peeled off the surface.
Get tips of getting rid of mold on the wallpaper.
This type of wallpaper is quite versatile and can be applied in almost any room in the house, whether it’s to camouflage a fault or to beautify the area.
In a bathroom, it can be used to cover old and mouldy tiles to refresh the space and give it a new look. However, as mentioned earlier, the edges of the wallpaper should be properly sealed to prevent water from collecting between the surface and the paper.
Sticker wall paper for bedrooms not only helps to cover weathered or stained surfaces but also to create a decorative focal point. It can even be used on the door of a cupboard since the material can be fixed on almost any type of surface, including wood. In a kid’s bedroom, wallpaper borders with motifs can be added easily to change the look of the room when the child outgrows a theme or design.
Get inspired by some stunning bedroom wallpaper designs.
Self-adhesive backsplash for kitchens is an excellent solution for hiding surfaces that have been spoiled by exposure to grime and dirt. Since it is easy to apply, clean and remove, it’s an affordable alternative to replacing the backsplash tiles.
Self-adhesive wallpaper can also be used in a living room. A textural wallpaper can create a feature wall. It can also be used to create a contrast on some of the walls so that the bold colours don’t overpower the space. Stick-on wallpaper with a printed landscape can completely transform the ambiance in a living room to make it soothing or vibrant, depending on the chosen image.
While self-adhesive wallpaper is ideal for those who love DIY projects, it does require some skill to install perfectly. We recommend hiring a professional to help with the application to minimise wastage as well as to ensure that the finish is free of creases or misaligned patterns. Additionally, the professional can help not only with choosing the right type or thickness of wallpaper for the area but also take care of details such as sealing to ensure that the edges don’t peel away after a while.