At home, we spend the most of our time in our bedrooms, whether it’s for sleeping, relaxing or spending time with our partners. Therefore, it’s only natural that after a few years, we get bored with the way the bedroom looks and consider giving it a makeover. However, any change costs money, which means you can’t afford to alter the look of the space too often. Don’t worry! You don’t have to spend six-figure sums for a small bedroom makeover.
Today, we bring you a range of affordable and DIY ideas to achieve a cheap bedroom makeover.
The first step is to work out how much you can spend on the bedroom makeover. Bear in mind that you don’t have to alter the look of all the bedrooms in your house simultaneously. Focus on one bedroom at a time so you can use simple bedroom decorating ideas to give it a trendy and stylish look. Having an idea of the budget will help you to decide which of the elements you can change. On a small budget, you might have to stick with cosmetic alterations such as changing the wall colour or the upholstery. With a bigger budget, you can even consider getting a new bed with matching bedside tables.
Get inspired by these breathtaking bedroom designs.
Before you start exploring bedroom makeover ideas on a budget, look around the room to see what needs to be changed. If it’s your bed, check to see if you can find a new one within your budget. You can easily find queen-size beds for INR 12,000 and upwards. However, the prices vary depending on the material used for the bed, so ensure that the material matches the overall décor theme of the bedroom. For example, a straight-lined light-toned wooden bed will look perfect in a Scandinavian-style bedroom, but it would be completely out of place in a classic bedroom.
Next, check if the proposed change is within your budget. For example, if you can’t spend money on a new bed, then you can refurbish the old one by painting it or adding a headboard. You can even undertake a DIY project to make your own headboard with a sheet of plywood, some textile, nails and glue.
Besides the idea for a DIY head board that we mentioned earlier, you could use the following tricks to achieve a simple makeover for your bedroom:
- Paint the walls in a new colour, if you are confident of your skills with a roller brush. The result should have a smooth finish. If you aren’t sure about doing this on your own, hire a professional painter to add colour or stripes to your walls.
- Another option is to add wallpaper on just one of the walls to create a focal point. You can choose a colour, theme or print that suits your space.
- Add a couple of throw pillows on the bed to bring a cosy and refreshing look to the room.
- Invest in a duvet, if you don’t have one. A bright colour or pleasant print on the cover will create a nice contrast that adds to the room’s style.
- Place a wooden box at the foot of the bed to store throws, blankets and cushions.
- You can even make your own curtains by buying affordable fabric and hemming the ends.
- Clearing up the clutter is a significant part of giving your bedroom a makeover, so invest in an antique cabinet or a stylish box to store books and magazines. Alternatively, you can fix a floating bookshelf on the wall to display books and accessories.
Master bedrooms are romantic spaces, so you should create a relaxing ambiance that enhances the mood.
- When you are looking for romantic bedroom decorating ideas on a budget changing the lighting is an excellent option. Turn off the bright ceiling lights at night and place elegant lampshades on the bedside tables to fill the room with soft and comforting lighting.
- Instead of changing your bed to a four-poster model, you can create a romantic canopy by hanging sheer fabric from a ring attached to the ceiling.
- Create a charming reading area in a corner of your master bedroom. All you need is a comfortable armchair and a lamp.
- Replace an old pendant lamp with a stunning chandelier to bring a romantic feel to the space.
- Get a new rug for the room as it will add cosiness to the space.
Find more makeover tips for a stylish bedroom.
When it comes to small bedrooms, makeovers can be a bit more challenging as you have limited space to work with. Therefore, you need to alter or add elements without making the room appear cramped. Here are some small bedroom decorating ideas you can use:
- Since floor space is precious in a small bedroom, instead of buying new bedside lamps, move the pendant light from the centre of the ceiling and let it hang from the side of the bed, so it doubles up as a reading lamp.
- Use mirrors to make your small bedroom appear larger. You can either buy a large mirror or several smaller ones. Make sure that the mirrors have beautiful frames that help to create a highlight in the room.
- If you don’t have a budget or the space for a new headboard in your small bedroom, hang an old bedspread or tablecloth on the wall to create a simple and stunning headboard.
- Wall decals are among the cheap decorating ideas for bedroom walls. You can use them instead of wallpaper to save money.
- Add photographs or art to the wall. You needn’t invest in expensive artwork. Collect some old photographs or postcards from your travels and frame them to make a small gallery on one of the blank walls in the bedroom.
- Using textured wallpaper can bring a fresh look to the bedroom. If you are giving your children’s bedroom a makeover, then paste wall paper with images of their favourite character or theme.
- When you are buying furniture for your small bedroom makeover, invest in multi-functional pieces that help to optimise the space within the room. Beds with box storage, modular units with a bed at the upper level and a desk underneath or even pull-out beds are excellent for saving space in a tiny bedroom.
- Decorate! Add a few well-chosen décor accessories to bring style to empty cabinet tops. Install a few floating shelves to a blank wall and fill them with photographs, collectibles or vases to infuse freshness into the ambiance.
As you can see, you don’t have to blow your budget on expensive accessories or furniture to give your bedroom a makeover. Get creative and think of unique DIY bedroom decorating ideas on a budget to refresh the look of the most-used space in your home. If you need help with implementing some of your ideas, consult an interior designer so that you can be sure that the room will look stunning once the makeover is done.